Reassurance and compensation - your rights explained
Providing you with a great service is at the heart of everything we do. We strive to make our services as reliable as possible but sometimes faults do occur.
If you do experience a fault, we think it's important you know exactly what you can expect from us. That's why we've created our Compensation Policy. Your rights are explained below.
If you experience a problem
If a fault with our network causes your calls, broadband or line rental service(s) to become unavailable, please let us know as soon as possible. That way we can get you up and running as quickly as we can.
A service is classified as 'unavailable' when a fault makes your entire TalkTalk landline or broadband connection inactive for 24 hours or more.
If you can still use part of a service, you won't be entitled to compensation in relation to that service (e.g. your email fails but you can still use broadband or you can still make international calls but can't connect to UK numbers). Please see the full TalkTalk terms and conditions for our responsibility to you in this case.
If however, we have delayed the porting of your telephone number for more than one working day or if we have failed to follow industry standards when porting your number, you will be entitled to claim compensation.
If we can't fix your service(s) by midnight on the first working day after you tell us about the fault, you can claim a refund for the period that your service(s) remain unavailable.
The refund is calculated by taking the number of days the relevant service(s) are out of action (starting from the first working day after you told us about the fault) multiplied by the daily cost of the service(s). E.g. if your call and broadband plan costs £19.99 per month and your services remain unavailable for 4 days, we'll pay you £2.63. The amount will be credited to your next bill or the one after, if it can't be added in time.
Call divert - to help if you can't receive incoming calls
If a fault on our network stops you receiving incoming calls totally, we'll divert them for you. The cost of any diverted calls will also be credited to your bill after the fault is fixed.
Reporting a fault or claiming compensation
In the unlikely event that you do experience a fault, you can contact us by email or phone. You can email us here or call us on 0870 087 8777 from Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturdays 9am to 6pm and Sundays/ Bank Holidays 10am to 5pm.
Please note, you won't receive a refund or goodwill credit from us if:
- You don't qualify under the terms and conditions of this compensation policy
- You don't claim within one month from when we fix the problem
- Someone other than TalkTalk has caused the fault
- The fault was caused by something outside TalkTalk's control, e.g. network or atmospheric conditions
- The fault was caused by any act or omission on your part
- You don't allow us to come into your home to fix the fault
- We reasonably ask you for other help and you don't give it to us
- Your service(s) haven't yet been fully installed and activated at your address (whether you're a new customer or are moving house and taking your service(s) with you)