Accessibility options
Back Menu


Two-year-old boy dies at fairground

Date: 13/5/2009 23:41:54

Search: Erjon Hyseni death

A two-year-old boy has been killed in a tragic funfair accident.

The toddler, named by a family member as Erjon Hyseni, died when he apparently walked in front of the "Go-Gator" ride at the fair in north London on Tuesday.

Police appealed for anyone with photographs or video footage of the bouncy castle area on Ducketts Common in Wood Green to call 020 8345 0832.

The Health and Safety Executive has launched an investigation into the death and the scene remains closed off.

Dorothy Murphy, 88, of Willoughby Road, said she heard the police cars arrive at the scene at around 7.30pm.

Mrs Murphy, whose home overlooks Ducketts Common, said: "I heard the poor mother over there crying and I knew something awful had happened. I saw her over there with her husband trying to comfort her."

Ray Smith, a spokesman for the Showmen's Guild, said it was the first fatal incident at a fairground for 10 years.

He said: "It's a very mixed atmosphere, staff are obviously upset but they have to retain their professionalism to work with the police and the Health & Safety Executive with this investigation.

Advertisement starts


Advertisement

Advertisement ends

"What happened was a member of the public screamed and the young lady operating the Go-Gator heard the scream and hit the stop button and the ride stopped. It appears the boy got onto the tracks somehow."

He said the Manning family who run the fair had been in the business 150 years. He added: "They have never had a serious injury in all time."

2014 © Press Association

Advertisement starts



Advertisement ends

Advertisement starts


Advertisement

Advertisement ends

  • Pub searched in Claudia Lawrence investigation
    Pub searched in Claudia Lawrence investigation
    More than five years after chef Claudia Lawrence went missing, detectives investigating her disappearance appear to be making a fresh breakthrough. The Acomb pub in York has been sealed off, with police guarding the perimeter of the site. A 46-year-old ma
  • MH17 plane crash bodies return to Netherlands
    MH17 plane crash bodies return to Netherlands
    Bodies of the dead from the Malaysia airlines plane have been returned to Holland, six days after they had left the country on the ill-fated flight. The Netherlands has born the brunt of the tragedy, with 193 Dutch lives lost on board MH17 from Amsterdam
  • Sir Bradley Wiggins eyes Commonwealth gold
    Sir Bradley Wiggins eyes Commonwealth gold
    Sir Bradley Wiggins has never clinched the top spot at the Commonwealth Games and he?ll be yearning to add a gold medal to his already impressive trophy cabinet.
  • From fresh-faced teens to megastars: 1D four years on
    From fresh-faced teens to megastars: 1D four years on
    Louis, Liam, Zayn, Harry and Niall first came together as X Factor contestants back in 2010. Four years on, they've won the hearts of legions of fans.
arrow
Pub searched in Claudia Lawrence investigation
More than five years after chef Claudia Lawrence went missing, detectives investigating her disappearance appear to be making a fresh breakthrough. The Acomb pub in York has been sealed off, with police guarding the perimeter of the site. A 46-year-old ma

5 day forecastMy local weather

Partly Cloudy
London
min: 16º
max:27º
 
 

Daily Pictures

Advertisement starts



Advertisement ends